Saturday, July 2, 2011

Taking the Block out of Writing

Like probably just about every other person who has ever written anything I get writers block. I will sit and stare at something trying desperately to come up with something, anything to get me writing again. Sometimes this goes on for days or longer and all I get is endless frustration. Over time I have found ways that work for me to get over the writers block and back to doing the thing I love to do.

1) Write By Hand: This probably won't be an option most people will like or use but it works for me. I find that if I am holding a pen or pencil or whatever in my hand and writing that I am more likely to keep writing and less likely to hit a road block. If I try writing something straight on the computer most of the time I sit there and stare at the blinking cursor willing myself to write and all I end up doing is hitting a bunch of random keys typing nonsense. For me writing is what happens when I put the pen in my hand and then pen to paper.

2) Take a Break: If I hit a point in a story where I'm completely stuck I'll stop writing for a while and go off and do something else. I'll hang out with friends, go to a movie, take a walk, just do something to get moving and give my brain a rest before getting back to writing.

3) Work on another piece: This is probably not an option for some people but I find that I always have at least two pieces I'm working on at the same time. though it sounds confusing it's actually very helpful for me to be able to take a break from one piece that I'm having trouble with and working on something else for a while. When I do this I'll get my creative juices flowing again and be able to go back into the first piece with a new perspective.

4) Read: This is pretty my my solution for everything but if you're having trouble writing this is really a great way to get back into it. What better way to feel the spark to start writing than to read some great writing. Whenever I finish a book that was really enjoyable I always want to go and start working on something of my own. I will issue a caution with this, however, if you do choose to read something try and make sure what you're reading isn't something along the same lines as what you're writing. This is an easy trap for writers to fall into you read something and then subconsciously add it into your own story. So be careful.

5) Plan it out: If you're stuck on  trying to figure out which way you want to go with a story try stopping and writing out different ways it could play out. Take a sheet of paper and make a simple flow chart starting with different situations and see where it leads you.

6) Talk about it: Find a friend, a relative, or the person next to you in line at the coffee shop and talk to them. Get their opinions about what your have and what you're thinking. If you can explain to them why you're stuck they might have suggestions about what you can do to fix it. If they're willing have them read it and then talk about it you might be surprised at what a fresh pair of eyes can see.

7) Free write: Just start writing something anything. Don't think just put your pen to the paper or your fingers to the keys and go. If you just stop thinking and just start writing you may find that something you've writen is helpful in what you've been working on.

8) Sleep on it: Put the piece down for a while take a nap put it down for the night and go to sleep. Sleep is a wonderful thing it allows you to work out subconsciously what you're brain is preventing you from consciously when you wake up you may start writing again and find that you're not having the trouble you were having before. If you just relax and let it work itself out you may find what you need.

9) Join a Writer's Group: If you go through a period like I did where you weren't just stuck on one piece but just could write anything at all try joining or starting a writers group. I found that when I joined the writer's group that I found my inspiration again and got moving. These groups are great for bouncing ideas off and getting those creative juices flowing. If you don't have anything to write then there's usually a suggestion assignment that you can use to get back to writing. The difference between this and just asking anyone is that these people know what you're going through and have been through a similar thing, there really is no better place to find some help with any writing issue.

10) Exercise: Find something physical that you like to do and do it. I swim. When I go swimming I get a chance to just relax and let my mind refocus and do it's own thing. After I'm done I feel better physically and mentally and I'm ready to get back into work.

These are only 10 suggestions and things that I've found have worked for me. Ultimately you'll have to find something that works for you. If you find something and let me know I might give it a try when I hit my next writer's block.

1 comment:

  1. Kaileigh-bubs this is BRILLIANT!! Very good tips for any writer. I really liked 4 and 6. I find those always work best for me. :D

    ReplyDelete