Tuesday, August 9, 2011

#52 Maine - J. Courtney Sullivan

I want to say that I picked up this book as much for the title as the description on the back. I love reading about Maine in case you haven't already noticed by my selections in cozy mysteries. So I picked this book up because of the title being my home state and was pleasantly surprise by how much I enjoyed the book.

Maine follows the lives of four women Alice, Ann Marie, Kathleen, and Maggie. Here are three generations of a family all with a connection to their little Maine cottage and all with a secret. Between pregnancies crushes, and deeply buried guilt over past events this will be a summer that these women won't every forget.

One of the great things about this book is that each chapter is dedicated to one of the women. Sullivan takes you into each of their lives allowing you to get to know them better and share theirs secrets. This is a well crafted story about family and the imperfections that make us all human.

Sullivan's style is easy and entertaining. The stories come off the page and make you feel as if you are part of them. I found that despite the four simultaneous stories I knew everything that was going on without having to go back ad re-read to find out who someone was or how/when something had happened. The story lines are easy to follows and enjoyable as well as moving. Also the characters are so real that you'll feel as if you've met them and know them personally.

I picked this book up because of the title but kept reading for the story and the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment