Saturday, March 3, 2012

1st vs. 3rd

When starting a story it is important to figure out from what perspective you want the story told and who is going to tell it. Once you have a character or characters in mind it will help you in deciding whether you should write in first or third person. Some will find one style easier to write in than the other which could also be a determining factor.

If your story is going to revolve around multiple characters instead of just one main character third person is really the only way to go since it is the form that makes the most sense. With third person since you are not using the possessive I forms you have the ability to switch from character to character realistically. With this form while you may have one character that is predominant throughout your story you can expand beyond what they are physically present for allowing you to go other places with the story and show other scenes and interactions.

Third person omniscience allows you to go into the mind of other characters and hear what their characters are thinking and how they react to various situations. While Third person limited omniscience restricts the allows all the advantages of having a third person narration but restricts the focus to main characters instead of including minor characters into the mix as well.

If you decide on a story with one main character it can be advantageous to use first person narration. First person allows you to focus on one character and set up a unique connection with the reader and the character. Because we talk in an I, me, my way in our everyday life this form sometimes comes more naturally when writing. The disadvantages to this type of narration are: you are limited to one point of view, the narrator must be present all the time, you can only write about what the narrator can see or sense and no one else.

Personally I tend to write in the first person more than I do in the third person. Part of the reason I do this is because I find it easier to write this way but also because most of my pieces center around one character rather than a group so third person is not necessary. Contrary to what I have read about most authors opting for first person,  friends of mine who write tend to favor the third person narration rather than first. They find it easier to write this way and find it strange that I favor a first person perspective. First person for me is more fun because I get to create a personal relationship with my main character and get inside their head and get to know them. I still get the benefit of connecting with other characters but the added advantage of experiencing the story first hand.

If you decide to write a series of stories or books there is one thing I would suggest to you and that is consistency. If you start a series in first person stick to the first person throughout the series. Your readers are accustomed to the perspective and will likely have some difficulty adjusting to the change.

These are my feelings on the dominant narration types where do you weigh in?

No comments:

Post a Comment