Sunday, April 1, 2012

#35: The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

3/31/12

A funny story (or not really funny more just slightly interesting) about how I stumbled upon this book. We were doing a massive store wide inventory scan and I was scanning the Teen Fiction section when I pulled this book off to scan the barcode. I figured this was probably going to have some copies sent back because there quite a few copies in section. After pushing the button on the scanner I looked at my screen and saw that none of them were going back but also I noticed it was in the wrong section all together. So I checked the book out and read the back of it. It sounded good and I needed something to read so I grabbed a copy.

When you are named after three of Shakespeare's characters you are destined to lead interesting lives. That is the case for the three Andreas sisters Rosalind, Bianca, and Cordelia who's Shakespeare quoting father named them. When they learn that their mother has breast cancer the three girls return home to help out. But there is more than just being good daughter bringing the three girls back home. There are challenges worthy of any Shakespearean character hovering around these three ladies will they be strong enough to meet these challenges before the final curtain? 

This book was unique in the fact that the entire book was written in collective first person. I'll admit I had a difficult time at first getting used to this but after a while it was easier. I liked it the story was complex and intriguing. With the collective first person I got to be inside all their heads and experience all their stories in a way typical third or first person doesn't allow. It was a great story about family and the connections that bind us together and also the connections that bind us to a place. There is no place like home and sometimes you have to go back there to remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment