Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Friends and Family #1 : Dies the Fire - S M Stirling

Okay so challenge month one has started and that means for the month of April I'm going to read as many of my Friends & Family favorite books as possible. I started with my Dad's favorite book. He's been trying to get me to read this book for years and I started it a while back but then some books by my favorite authors came up and so I got distracted. So when I made this challenge I made sure to add this book to my last and made sure it was the first book I started with. My Dad is a big Sci-fi/Fantasy buff so a lot of the books he reads tend to fall in those categories which is fine with me because I like those too.

Mike Havel is flying a family to their country home when he looses all power in his plane. Forced to land the plane in the Idaho wilderness he then must lead the family to safety. Quickly he finds that the problems may not be confined to his plane. Meanwhile Juniper Mackenzie is performing in a small town Oregon pub when the lights go out. Cars have stopped where they were and planes are falling out of the sky sending the town into panic and a blazing fire. Juniper with her and daughter and an ever expanding group of friends head to the country and Juniper's cabin to farm and help those who survive the crisis. But while some have helping others on their mind others have nothing but conquest and power.

I have to say that the first time I tried to read this I didn't really get into the book which is probably part of the reason I was so easily pulled away and into other books. This time however when I started reading the book I found that I got pulled into the story. It was interesting to see how a world so dependent on technology fared once they had to do without it. The writing was well down and the characters unique and well developed. I liked that there were two main groups of people experiencing the same phenomenon and that they react to the Change in different ways. One thing I had a hard time with was the quick passage of time. In the beginning the passage of time was consistent and easy to follow. Later time jumped rapidly and took a while to figure out how much time had passed. All in all however I really enjoyed this book. Thanks Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment