Tuesday, June 21, 2011

#43 Promises to Keep - Jane Green

Ok let me take a minute first to explain what the number means. Back a few months ago my friend Adro and I were talking about our not so healthy addiction to books while of course working at a bookstore. Adro and I established that we need to create a BA (Bookaholics Anonymous). Then we decided that we would keep track of how many books we read in 2011. so we started it was already March when we decided to do this so we had to try and remember all the books we'd read since January. So this is what the number means Promises to Keep is the 43rd book I've read in 2011.

And now that the explanations portion is over let's get to the meat of the blog. Typically I have not been a reader of what critics call women's fiction, I've always been more of a mystery buff but I'm a sucker for a good story regardless of genre. I've read  a majority of Jane Green's previous 11books but this one by far is the most powerful.

Promises to Keep starts out seeming to be a light hearted story about this group of family and friends, but becomes a story about the hardships of illness and the strength of love and friendship. Okay, okay I know this sounds like a really girls book, but before you write it off a just another Lifetime movie git it a chance.

Green's style kept me interested and engrossed. Her characters are real and believable which makes the book more than just a story but a story about real people. Green makes the characters come alive and when the laugh you laugh and when they cry your as upset as they are. You feel as if you are part of the story rather than just an observer from the outside.

As an added bonus and incentive to readers Green takes dishes mentioned in the story and puts the receipes for them at the end of every chapter. So all in all I'd give this book four thumbs up (that is if I had four thumbs) for a good plot and excellent characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment