Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Between A Heart and A Rock Place : Review

OK so lately I have been reading a lot of Biiography and naturally I tend to pick out those by people I recognize; actors, musicians, or just other bios I pick up that sound interesting (the best/worst part about working in a bookstore is that I'm constantly surrounded by books so I'm always finding new things to read). Anyway I love Pat Benatar and when I saw that she had a biography out naturally it got added to my to read pile.

Right away the writing style Benatar uses got my attention. with some biographies you feel like you're reading a press release rather than a book but here you feel like your talking to Benatar one-on-one. The style is very laid back and personal the way a biography should read. You pick up the book becuase you want something that's going to hold your attention and tell you more about the person at the same time, not something that's going to bore you to tears with formality.

one of the most striking things about the book was that when she talked about her career she didn't refer to herself as an solo act but rather one part of a band. Most people think of Pat Benatar the woman and not Pat Benatar the band because most people forget that there is an amazing ensamble of people baking her up including her husband Neil "Spyder" Giraldo. The rare times she refers to herself in her career are when she talks about the struggles she faced as a woman in rock music in the 70's and 80's.

Honestly I would read this book over again! Once I finished reading I didn't feel like I'd finished a book but a conversation with an old friend. I highly recommend this book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment