Friday, June 17, 2011

Making It

Everybody says go to college, get your degree so you can get a good paying job when you get out. television and movies glamorize post-grad life, graduates with nice cars, nice apartments, and god paying jobs, an social live of going out to clubs, bars, and restaurants. Well, let me tell you it's a load of bullshit. I went to school, did everything you're supposed to do and where am I? Live in a three bedroom apartment with roommates I don't talk to , driving a car I can't really afford, working 60 hours a week at two jobs, and living on a grocery budget of $20/week. this is the life of a twenty-something American gils it isn't pretty, it isn't glamorous but it's real.

Back when I was deciding what I wanted to study at school I went through all my options considering what I enjoyed doing and what I could make a living doing. Well, I convinced myself that writing, the one thing I never get tired of was not a practical choice, so I moved on. I could be and English teacher, I loved English and I was always told that I would make a good teacher. The problem? My mom is a teacher and I see the stress, the lack of appreciation. When I told my mom what I was considering she told me to consider something else, anything else. So what did I end up deciding? Forensic anthropology. Ever since CSI I'd been fascinated and passionate about forensics, especially the bones. So that's what I studied and loved every minute of it. Of course to do anything with forensic anthropology you have to have a doctorate degree which is more money and a college out of state meaning bigger moving costs. Also it means taking the GRE which costs $120 for a test. A TEST!!!! Not even pieces of paper just $120 to sit in front of a computer for several hours and answer questions on a screen.

So here I am a year out of college living paycheck to paycheck and considering my options. What am I going to do for the rest of my life? Better yet, more immediately what am I going to do now so I have more than $20/week to spend on groceries?

2 comments: